No Men? Think Again.

I write this to America’s pro-choice community.

It seems that a shop-worn old theme you people regurgitate from time to time is back making the rounds once more.  On several radio talk shows I’ve done recently, I have been admonished that I have no right to be involved in the abortion issue because I am male.  Some of you have even gone so far as to advocate that only female elected officials be allowed to vote on legislation that might impact abortion.

Even if we ignore your blatant sexism, I advise you to be careful what you ask for.  After all, when polls are broken down by gender, they consistently find that women oppose abortion at a higher rate than men, are more opposed to government funding of abortion, are more active in the pro-life movement, and are more likely to favor banning abortion outright.  In other words, if you exclude men, support for legal abortion plummets.

The reality is, the most numerous proponents of legalized abortion are men.  Of course, that makes perfect sense given that men are the ones who most profit from it.  That is why, with almost no exceptions, pioneers of the women’s movement like Susan B. Anthony, Mattie Brinkerhoff, Sarah Norton, Emma Goldman, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton were outspoken opponents of legalized abortion.  It is also true that suffragist newspapers such as Woodhull’s and Claflin’s Weekly, had editorial policies which openly attacked both abortion and abortionists.  Even Alice Paul, the woman who wrote the original Equal Rights Amendment, considered legalized abortion to be the ultimate exploitation of women.

These early feminists saw that abortion is patronizing and paternalistic and that it doesn’t free women, it devalues them.  They understood that, as a practical matter, legalized abortion is nothing more than a safety net for sexually predatory and sexually irresponsible men.  And if the last 35 years have proven nothing else, they have proven that these women hit that nail on the head.  It is now clear that the legalization of abortion, and the willingness of women to submit to it, are the two greatest gifts these kind of men have ever received.

If you want to see that played out in the real world, stand in front of an abortion clinic on a day when pro-lifers are there trying to offer women alternatives to having their babies killed.  What you will quickly discover is that the most vicious and violent reactions they get are not from these women, but from the men who are dragging them in by the elbows.  The fact is, regardless of what you think about the abortion issue, you would have to be a certifiable idiot to think that women are the ones who profit from putting their feet in the abortion industry’s stirrups.  On the other hand, you can be certain that every man who ever put a woman in that position was fully aware of whose interests were being served.

Now if your point is that men should be excluded simply because we can’t get pregnant, let me ask you about women who can’t get pregnant.  Is it your view that the only women who should be allowed to have an opinion about abortion are those who are (a) fertile and still in their child-bearing years, (b) sexually active with males, and (c) not practicing birth control?  If so, that is going to thin your herd even further.

I have also noticed that those of you who take this “no men allowed” approach, always seem to have an exception for pro-choice men.  For example, I have never heard one of you tell that paragon of respect for women, Bill Clinton, to keep out of the abortion issue.  Neither do you ever argue that the 1973 Supreme Court had no right to be involved in the Roe vs. Wade decision, despite the fact every member was male.  You don’t even seem to mind that the overwhelming majority of abortionists who make their fortunes off women are men, and you never say anything about the male “escorts” who work at the abortion mills.  You don’t even say anything about men who force women to have abortions.  Evidently, the only men for whom you have contempt, and the only men you want censored, are those who think women deserve better than abortion.

My final point is one that I do not expect you to understand, but I’m going to make it anyway.  Men do not merely have a right to speak out against abortion, we have a responsibility to do so.  Real men do not just stand around with their hands in their pockets while people like you slaughter helpless children by the millions.  So you may as well get used to the fact that, as long as your death camps are churning out dead bodies, many of the people fighting you will be men.

It never ceases to amaze me how you right wing over-bearing men try and justify the ownership of women's bodies. You are only happy if you can come home and be greeted by a smiling wife with a drink in her hand ready to jump at your every command.

There may be some women who live to take their place beside the family dog, but I am not one of them. Go grunt with the rest of the Neanderthals while you cook your own food and order the dog around. If you want to control the sex life of a woman buy a doll and inflate and deflate it to your heart's content. Just keep you grimy tentacles off my body and my decisions.
# Posted By Emily | 1/3/08 8:17 AM
Thank God for men like you, Mark! Everything you've written is so true. In fact, I think the female "pro-choice" crowd are merely women who wish they were men because they have a really misguided idea of what their God-given and created roles are as women.
# Posted By Leslie Tignor | 1/3/08 11:00 AM
Dear Emily,
I don't think its men in general
who are controlling women's bodies. After all, its not pro-life
men who want to kill female babies. Its the abortionist. I
would consider their heinous act the ultimate control.
# Posted By larry | 1/3/08 1:09 PM
Mark - great article.
Emily - it amazes me how people construe the pro-life position as being some perverse desire to control women's bodies. It is not. Do you hear pro-life advocates opposing a woman's
right to have tonsilectomies, or to donate an organ? The scientific fact is that the genetic code of the fetus is different from the genetic code of the mother, so the fetus is not her body,
but rather the body of another person. It is why a mother with blue eyes may give birth to a baby with green eyes. This is not the raving of a Neanderthal; this is well-known science.
An abortion is not a decision that a woman makes about her own body. An abortion is a decision that a woman makes about the body of someone else - someone who is small, helpless,
and who depends on her. Abortion is not a right or a freedom, but a sad departure into ignorance and barbarism.
# Posted By Marty | 1/3/08 2:12 PM
Wow. That was awesomly said and as for the woman who had stated her opinion here, she is not that bright. "Her body" in fact it is two bodies when a woman is pregnant. But they don't think anyways. I think you said this so well. I give you major props. I think if they take out the say so in men, they should do it for both sides, because like you said, more men do favor abortion!! Thanks for all you do in trying to speak for the unborn. I can only pray that 2008 is a year that the killing is stopped for good. Have a great day!
~ashley
# Posted By ashley | 1/3/08 2:33 PM
Have you ever noticed that those who disagree with the pro-life position have nothing to say in defense of their pro-abortion position. They are too angry to be rational. Emily's angry comments tell me that she has trusted some pro-abortion men in the past, and made some bad life decisions as a result of that misplaced trust. Sad!
# Posted By Sarah Brunn | 1/3/08 2:52 PM
I knew that there would be a chorus of boo hooer's. I don't exercise any so called right over the bodies of men. Perhaps I should start a movement to decide who can and can't be circumcised.

The embryo is an integral part of of the women, as is her gall bladder of tonsils. However, there is no save the gall bladder group. Why because it is part of the person.Let's get real here and recognize the tissue for what it is.
# Posted By Emily | 1/3/08 3:26 PM
"The embryo is an integral part of of the women," Emily, dear. I really think you need to read Biology 101 again. The embryo is NOT an integral part of the woman. In fact, from the moment of conception the new life has its own unique human DNA which is integral only to itself.

Perhaps what you intended to say is that the child in the womb, like any infant, is dependent upon the mother. This is NOT, as many radical feminists like to imply, a parasitical relationship, like a bad case of pin-worms. Abortion, and indeed, birth control, require women to deny their intrinsic feminity. Female biology cries out for sex, not because it seeks mindless pleasure but because the female body WANTS to become pregnant.
# Posted By Katie | 1/3/08 4:40 PM
A person is a person no matter how small. And every "person" (not your tonsils) has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
# Posted By Jim McFillin | 1/3/08 4:54 PM
Mark, your article is smart and well-articulated. I am so sorry for Emily. She has the angry tone we have come to know from every aspect of liberalism. I work with women all day, every day, who are dealing with an abortion decision. Those choosing it are in agony. Afterward, sooner, sometimes later, almost all are devastated. This is not a 'right' for women. It is a horrible burden that they bear under duress, pressure and sometimes outright threats. A true feminist recognizes quickly, when given a chance to examine the evidence, that abortion hurts women. Abortion violates a woman. I recently heard a woman describe abortion as rapeing her of her baby. Excellent choice of words. I am sorry for my sisters who have had to choose abortion. I don't judge them. We need to help women before AND after abortion, to choose what is best for them. Death is never the best choice.
# Posted By Cindy | 1/3/08 7:54 PM
Two additional thoughts occur to me after reading this piece on the right of men to speak against abortion.

First, men do share one significant biological qualification with women on abortion and pregnancy; each is
a former fetus. And a more serious observation: selective abortions have favored the survival of male babies over female babies. Pro-choice feminists might consider how anti-abortion advocates,both male and female, are better, on balance, at promoting female equality because they preserve survival equality.

Only an absurd feminism can argue that men are biologically disqualified from criticizing a procedure that kills more females than males.
# Posted By Jerry | 1/3/08 8:30 PM
Many thanks for telling the truth. God blessed woman with the capability to carry a new life. God gave man the ability to give to give woman this new life. God trusted both woman and man to hold this new life close to their hearts. Man has every right to speak out in defense for this blessed new life. It takes 3 to concieve a new life. Mom, Dad, and GOD. All have every right to speak out in defense for this new life.
# Posted By Susanna Matrisciano | 1/3/08 10:20 PM
OK, Like a toddler and adolescent, the terms embryo and fetus do not refer to nonhumans, but to humans at particular stages of development. Prior to the earliest abortions, the unborn already has every body part she will ever have. The baby even looks like a baby. For you to say that its a blob of tissues is irradical. We have proof by ultrasounds now that it is a tiny life. Not a blob of tissues.
# Posted By ashley | 1/4/08 11:12 AM
Thanks very much for a very complete and truthful article. Ultimately, everything becomes an excuse to put egos up front and ultimately, all it matters is the selfish focus on the I, me, mine.

Abortion is termination of a life, a human life and that is that and the main subject on this termination is the human being living in until that moment as an individual with the same dignity each and everyone of us has.

How ridiculous is to pretend that a choice to kill can be only a matter of gender. The dignity of human life is something that concerns us all because we all are creatures of the same God and not to believe or have faith cannot be excuse for murder.
# Posted By Cesar Fernandez-Stoll | 1/5/08 5:52 AM
The anti-choice men remind me of the pro-slavery lobby pre civil war and those who fought against suffrage. They want to maintain control over women, their choices and their rights. They take the position of Congressman Laurence M. Keitt who stated that there is a right to take ownership of another.

They sought to control the blacks then, fought to stop women from voting, and now want to remove their right of self determination. Mr. Crutcher go back to your racist, anti-women hole and stay there!
# Posted By Phyllis Warmouth Phd. | 1/7/08 11:08 AM
Once children are born it is not legal to drown them. Nor is it legal to suffocate them, or kill them in any manner. Why at this small and vulnerable state is it legal to snuff out a baby's life? My prayer is more men (and women) speak out against our precious babies being killed so violently. Lets face it, abortion is horrendous. No one should get to choose whether a fetus should live or die. We all have the right to life, in or out of the womb.
# Posted By Samantha | 1/14/08 3:53 PM
Dear Phyllis Warmouth, Ph.D.,
From one educated woman to another, when is the last time you spoke with a woman who has had an abortion? If you believe it not to be murder-just go have one and, I promise you, you will after. Only then it will be too late. Your B-A-B-Y will have been butchered, his or her little BODY thrown down the disposal or toilet (depending on how far along the mother was at the time of the abortion), and the abortionist anywhere from $350 to $10,000 richer! This I know not because the Bible told me so, but because that is exactly what I did to my first never to be born child. It is never the child that is the problem or even the "pregnancy". Also, it was the Democrats under President Johnson who so vehemently pushed for slavery. After all, it was in the slave's best interest to be kept that way as he or she could never have survived free. No one would have "wanted" him or her. Too bad no one ever asked the slave what he or she
wanted. The same holds true for those precious unborn babies. I dare you to watch "The Silent Scream" Part 3 on Youtube and then tell me your Ph.D. thoughts. If only you, Phyllis, could be transported back to your Mother's womb! Oh, and she was having a bad time at home, maybe had a fight with the hubby and thought it "better" to just "get rid of 'it' ". And yes it hurts to have your legs ripped off you know?!

When I crack an egg I think of my dead child. When I see a pregnant woman I think of my dead child. When the life chain forms every year in October I think of my dead child. When I wake up in the middle of the night TO the nightmare instead of from it, I think of my dead child. When I look at my
daughters now I think of my dead child. When I turn on the hand mixer I think of my dead child. When I drive past that building where she died I think of "her". When I am alone I think of my dead child. While driving the car sometimes it hits me-I have a dead child! When I change a diaper I think
of my dead child. When I am actually able to enjoy my children I think of my dead child as being left out and looking on in anger, disgust and sadness. When I eat meat sometimes I think of my dead child. When I see a LeBonheur commercial telling me to "Give Life" I think of my dead
child. When I put my contacts in and must look at myself closely in the mirror I think of my dead child. When I take my birth control pill every morning to keep from bleeding as it hurts too much to see it, I think of my dead child. When it should be her birthday I think of my dead child.

Worst of all days, when it is my birthday I think HOW COULD I CELEBRATE WHEN I MURDERED MY OWN CHILD!!!! Oh, there is more. Much more you deluded of deluded women!

Phyllis, since when has self-determination included murdering (aborting) your own baby? Being the well-educated woman you state you are, I am sure you already know healthcare deals within the realm of disease, injury, and illness. As a woman carrying her own child is none of these abortion is not and will never be care for anyone especially the baby that is systematically torn apart to guarantee death on delivery. Hey, an abortionist's biggest problem? A live baby.

Hmmm, if a baby is born alive, does it not necessarily follow that the baby must be alive before his or her birth? I hate to say this, but I am sure I will be thinking of you later. Please reconsider your position. Look at the facts and history of abortion. Look at some of the comments made by Margaret Sanger. Founder of Planned arenthood. She grouped people into "good stock" and "bad stock". IF the Titanic were sinking for her it would not be the rule of humanity that would play out, that is, women and children first. No, it would be only the rich and well-to-do with no mental or physical defects first please.

I care for you and hope you will come to an understanding of life as it is-a gift. You are a gift yourself. Why would you want to destroy the gift of life just for the purpose of so-called SELF-determination? Have a wonderful evening.

Very sincerely,
Ann
# Posted By Ann | 1/15/08 12:25 AM
To Phyllis, Emily, and the Choice sisterhood,

Rather than foam at the mouth over Mark's statements, try instead to prove him wrong. I'm sure he could cite sources for his info. How about you? He claims that women oppose abortion more than men; go find research that would show otherwise. Mark states that the early feminists saw aboritn as degradation of women and children. Can you find evidence to the contrary? And how about the MEN that decided Roe v. Wade? Isn't that a little over the top?

He's placed it on the table for you gals; now it's time to show your own. To say it gently, put up, or hush up.
# Posted By snap | 1/20/08 7:44 AM
The main question you should consider is, is it moral to kill a human being? The fifth commandment of God is “Thou shalt not kill.”

Killing means taking the life of a human being unjustly. Murder is the voluntary and unjust killing of a human being. It is a serious crime because it is an infringement on the right of God’s dominion over human life and an irreparable injustice to the victim, to his family and to society.
Another principle insisted upon by the Catholic Church is that the end does not justify any morally evil means. People may not do evil that good may come.

Is it moral to kill a human being? I submit it is under specific conditions:

1. In order to protect ones own life or that of a neighbor or a serious amount of possessions from an unjust aggressor, provided no other means of protection is effective.
2. By a soldier fighting in a Just war.
3. By a duly appointed executioner of the state when he metes out a just punishment for a crime.

A. Within item one:
1. The direct intention to kill an innocent person is never permissible, either by public or private authority. The state does not have the right to take the life of a sick person, even at his own request, in order to relieve him of pain. An unborn child has the same right to life as any other person and may never be directly killed even to save the life of the mother.

2. It is required of the doctor not to choose which life to save and which to kill but to use the means of their profession to try and save both the mother and the unborn child without resorting to the direct killing of the unborn child. Abortionist say save the mother and murder the child. The Catholic Church and well informed Catholics say save the mother and the unborn child. For both the mother and the unborn child have an inviolable right to life.

3. In abortion the doctor directly intends the killing of an innocent child as a means to the end he desires to attain. He does not merely permit the unborn child to die. He definitely kills it. The child is not responsible for its own death, unjustifiably exposing its life to danger.

4. In the case of abortion it is the doctor who is the unjust aggressor. It is he who is attacking an innocent life. The doctor makes a cool, calculated decision to kill the child. The unborn child is not an unjust aggressor, and is not choosing to end its own life. In abortion the unborn child is killed deliberately as a means to an end.

5. Murder in and of itself is wrong. Murder is murder is murder. There is no sliding scale. Murder is always the voluntary and unjust killing of a human being. As soon as you put murder on a sliding scale you imperil everyone’s right to life. The right to life is the preeminent right. If you don't have a right to live you have no other rights. First you kill the unborn child, then the handicapped, then you could move onto the weak and the old, then those with genetic problems then there is no end in sight.

6. Changing the name of a thing does not change the nature of that thing. A pregnant woman always gives birth to a human baby. She will never give birth to a tree, a park bench or a parakeet. You can call it an embryo, a fetus, an unborn child but the nature of that thing is always a human being.

7. It takes two people to have a baby. A man and a woman. Outside of a laboratory any other means is impossible.
# Posted By Elgin | 1/25/08 1:50 PM
You all need to get lives
abortion and fetal research are saving the lives sick and dieing people
your view points are the real killers
fetus's are not human beings until they can think for themselves unlike you people
where do u get such horrible information!
If you have a problem with abortion......
DON"T GET ONE!!!!!!
# Posted By Sick and Tired in Missouri | 2/4/08 11:55 AM
Dear Sick and Tired in Missouri:
Your message is not saying much except of course that killing in abortion is done to prevent someone from dying. Hmmm... Maybe too deep of a thought but... wait... you consider that nobody is really a person until they, they, can think by themselves. This is very interesting and we might be onto something.
Under this premise; would not a person, say, six years all, be disposable if someone claims to find the cure for stupidity by killing a child for their health sake?
Of course, a baby one second after birth is no too much different to one a second before birth… and neither is thinking by themselves…
I am afraid, you might be a victim of your own preaching because frankly, I find problems believing that you are actually thinking, let alone by yourself.
The saddest point is that it is people like you saying what you are saying that makes this issue we all have problems with and which is loosely called abortion or the abrupt termination of pregnancy, or the killing of the human being since conception; something not deserving a thought… perhaps you might consider giving it a thought and realizing in a time line, when exactly is that a person deserves your respect as a human being… if any at all.
I’ll pray for you that you see the light of the truth beyond your own self…
# Posted By Cesar Fernandez-Stoll | 2/8/08 12:59 PM
To Sick and Tired in Missouri,

If the pro-lifers out there cannot think for ourselves (according
to you) same as all unborn children should we be aborted too?
Hey, I could be declared a "non-person" as was Baby Doe back in
1984 because she was born with Down's Syndrome and was
left to starve to death in the hospital where she was
born in Indiana. The judge ordered an "abortion ex-utero". And
all those people in comas? The elderly with dementia also cannot
think for themselves as well as all newborns and toddlers. Should
they all be aborted too? What about YOU?! If you are ever
involved in a car accident, ooo, just happen to slip down the
stairs and end up mildly or severely handicapped or worse in a
"permanent vegetative state" oooo, could I get my hands on you
then?? I would LOVE to abort you!!! Yes, it is so easy to be
pro-choice when YOU are not the one being chosen!!!!!!
# Posted By Ann | 2/8/08 2:30 PM
To Emily/anyone who is proabortion,

As Alice Paul said, abortion "is the ultimate exploitation of women. It is disgusting. Pro-life people do not want to control women's bodies, we want to protect unborn children. And as a young woman, I do not consider abortion to be a right, I consider it to be a travesty. Great article Mark! And men do have a right to say that they do not want unborn children, especially their unborn children, killed. We are all people, and we all have an obligation to proect each other. That means we all must also protect the unborn. I respect pro-life men as well as women, and feel that pro-abortion men and pro-abortion women are wrong and engaged in a serious evil. I say that from a Catholic perspective as well as a woman's perspective.
# Posted By n/a | 5/23/09 5:49 PM
Emily & Phyllis,

I must say that I was exactly like you some years ago. Like another poster here, I also exercised my pro-choice "right", being the free-love sister that I was. I also then chose life on another occasion. What a difference. You are the ones being duped here. As a feminist, I am not into being controlled by a man, but what is more controlling than marching your girlfriend down to an abortion clinic & DEMANDING that she have an abortion so that you (the man) can be spared the "inconvenience" of being a responsible father, while still yet exercising the "right" to have sex with your girlfriend whenever, with no responsibilities to the mother of your child & hopefully no long term attachments? Now THAT is being used and exploited, and as Mark states here, the most vicious pro-choice protesters at abortion clinics are the boyfriends. As a woman, I have been there. My former HUSBAND recommended that I get an abortion, because he did not want to be a responsible father. Did I feel used? Yes. Did I regret killing my own child? Yes. The man who wants to raise his child in a responsible way would NOT force or even encourage his woman to abort their child. That is a true man, not these selfish little boys who want to just use women for their personal pleasure only. And a true feminist, such as Susan B. Anthony, recognizes this. You need to read more about her, and get a real education, because you are not true feminists, but spoiled little girls being exploited by selfish men, and you are too brainwashed to see it at this point. Maybe you will understand one day. It took me a while, but I finally saw where the true exploitation was.
# Posted By Rebecca | 2/23/10 9:49 AM